[lbo-talk] cruise report

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Jul 29 12:35:19 PDT 2007

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007, Doug Henwood wrote:

> The Nation cruisers seem like a very agreeable bunch - mostly fairly
> old, and wow do they love The Nation. You do get asked questions like
> "whose your favorite Democrat" [i.e., presidential candidate]. I've got
> to come up with a better comeback than "they all suck." Advice welcome.

How about "FDR?" They'll laugh, and if they're really old you'll be flattering them by soliciting them for stories (which might be interesting). But more importantly, it will allow you a kind way to segue into how, against the background of substantial change that we associate with FDR, all the current crop seem to have bag over their heads when it comes to imagining what's possible.

Michael