[lbo-talk] NY Times obit for Ingmar Bergman

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 11:49:13 PDT 2007

I can remember when Bergman and Fellini were scorned by critics on the left as celebrators or explorers of bourgeois neuroses, while Godard was elevated above them for his modernist/social critical style. Apparently those days are over.

I found the NY Times obit itself inspiring -- it reminded me that subjectivity, emotionality, vulnerability, ambiguity are valuable too, along with objectivity, analysis, political passion, etc.

The writer who reminds me most of Bergman is Italo Calvino, though he's lighter and funnier than Bergman.

And there's a gem of a recent Swedish film everyone should know: Elling.

BobW