[lbo-talk] Heritage: Economic Blowback from Bombing Iran Will be Easily Managed

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Mon Jul 30 21:23:41 PDT 2007

On 31 Jul, 2007, at 0:06 AM, dredmond at efn.org wrote:
> On Mon, July 30, 2007 5:54 pm, Robert Naiman forwarded:
>
>> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-naiman/heritage-economic-
>> blowba_b_58
>> 383.html
>>
>> Heritage: Economic Blowback from Bombing Iran Will be Easily Managed
>> Posted July 30, 2007 | 01:41 PM (EST)
>
> Fifteen minutes after the bombs start falling, the Iranians will
> hand over
> 5,000 RPG-29s, 1,000 anti-air missiles and 3,000 long-range
> missiles to 20
> million enraged Shiites. The resulting carnage would make Dien Bien
> Phu
> look like a tea party. Just too ugly to imagine.

I am not sure about this... we hear this sort of thing over and over again: when we attacked Afghanistan the story was that we had no idea what we were in for, these guys were wily guerrilla fighters who would throw us out in short order. When that didn't happen and the Taliban ran to the borders, and BushCo turned on Iraq, we said... Iraq ain't no Afghanistan. Boy you have no idea what fierce fighters the Republican Guard are! Well, they turned out to be just the sort of cowards that the term (Republican) seems to be associated with back here. Now it's Iran... well, we say now, Iran ain't no Iraq, depleted by years of sanctions. They are a spirited people, willing to lay their lives down against foreign aggressors... and so on. I am sure there will be some carnage, but well within what the likes of Heritage Foundation classify as the messy affair of democracy blooming.

But then again, what the fuck do I know! ;-)

--ravi