[lbo-talk] cruise report

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Jul 30 22:08:47 PDT 2007

>The appearance of FDR in this thread shows a major weakness in left
>thinking, at least of sophisticated leftists who value their own
>intelligence and sensitivity: they stupidly think that what is wrong
>with the DP is its lack of intelligence, its lack of sensitivity, and
>its and its failures of imagination. Bullshit. Hillary & Obama and
>EDwards and t he rest of the war criminals are every bit as imaginative,
>sensitive, and intelligent as FDR. Only the condtions of the empire have
>changed.

I don't think anyone would disagree that FDR saved capitalism. In that sense he makes an odd hero for the left. But, because he did this by supporting public works projects and social subsidies, he actually did raise a generation out of poverty and despair, AND he left behind impressive examples of just how govt could play a positive and efficient role in the organization of society.

Next, someone is going to write that it was not FDR's programs that saved the day but the command economy of WWII and the subsequent economic hegemony of the U.S., standing alone in an otherwise devastated world.

Sure. But wrong or right, FDR's iconic legacy is one of positive govt and support for the working class -- and this is a good reason why he remains a positive figure for the 'left.'

But I agree with whoever wrote that Eleanor would make a better pick for president.

Joanna