[lbo-talk] anarchism, was Cuba

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Jul 31 11:54:11 PDT 2007

B. wrote:
> French writer Octave Mirbeau said "Anarchism has a
> broad back, and endures anything."
>
> No matter how some individuals might act, it's hard to
> say that the kind of anti-authoritarian critique
> anarchism presents will die, esp. as long as there are
> unjust power relations between men and women, humans
> and state, people and private power, between folks of
> different cultures & races, etc. Over the years I've
> come to see anarchism as an anti-authoritarian
> methodology, not an out-of-the-box system -- a
> methodology, paraphrasing Chomsky, that basically
> looks at a given power relation and asks if there is
> legitimacy to it; if not, it should be dismantled, to
> increase the scope of human freedom.
>
> Maybe people will call that kind of anti-authoritarian
> critique something else over time, instead of using
> the provocative term "anarchism," but it's hard to
> imagine this perspective disappearing. Esp. any time
> soon.

Well said, B. This reflects my own take on anarchism. It's more of a methodoloy than it is a series of historical events leading up to some revolutionary change. This is why I put so much more effort into practice over theory. I think that you have to have both, but I think that practice is an important way of putting our ideas into everyday life and showing people that they are feasible.

Anarchism is also a tool-kit, which we use to dissect, analyze, mock, pull aprt, construct, praise, scorn and much more.

Chuck -------------------------- Bread and Roses Web Design serving small businesses, non-profits, artists and activists http://www.breadandrosesweb.com/