[lbo-talk] anarchism, was Cuba

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 31 15:26:19 PDT 2007

Carrol Cox wrote:

"The core of any criticism is first to recognize genre, and the decorum of the relevant genre. Songs such as Solidarity are not for listening but for singing collectively in the midst of action."

Carrol,

Sometimes songs not intentionally written "for singing collectively in the midst of action" become such, spontaneously, or evolve into that over time. The 1984 Miners' strike in the UK: Crass did a benefit gig [their last performance as a band, I believe] and a lot of the striking miners were in the audience. Crass's "Do They Owe Us a Living?" became a song "singing collectively in the midst of action." The "they" in the title became the mining bosses that were fucking over the workers. I guess it's arguable if John Lennon's "All We Are Saying...." was written for singing at actions or not, too. Dunno the story behind his intent.

-B.