[lbo-talk] iMac question

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri Jun 1 07:59:07 PDT 2007

On 1 Jun, 2007, at 1:19 AM, joanna wrote:
> I just got my daughter an iMac for xmas.
>
> Theoretically it should be able to copy video DVD's.

Mac's don't really have a nice way to copy CDs/DVDs. If it's a non- copy-protected DVD, you could use Disk Utility, HandBrake (free non- Apple), iMovie or iDVD, DVD Imager (free, non-Apple) and jump through a bunch of hoops. A better idea may be to use MacTheRipper (http:// www.mactheripper.org/). Or you chould pay $99 and buy "Fast DVD Copy" which promises to do it in one click. Or check out DVD Copy ($49) from http://www.imtoo.com/, or DVD2one (30 euros). Another commercial options is Roxio's "Toast Titanium" ($80) or Popcorn ($50).

So, in summary:

* If its a non-copy-protected DVD, use Disk Utility. Here are some instructions:

http://creativebits.org/mac_os_x/make_a_dvd_copy_of_mac_os_x_tiger

* If not, buy one of the products above, or use MacTheRipper with a burner. See

the website.

--ravi