[lbo-talk] Bush and Foucault

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 1 09:50:09 PDT 2007

From Mark Danner's commencement address to the Berkeley Department of Rhetoric:

But this is all old hat to you, graduates of the Rhetoric Department of 2007, the line of thinking you imbibe with your daily study, for it is present in striking fashion in Foucault and many other intellectual titans of these last decades ­ though even they might have been nonplussed to find it so crisply expressed by a finely tailored man sitting in the White House. Though we in the "reality-based community" may just now be discovering it, you have known for years the presiding truth of our age, which is that the object has become subject, and we have a fanatical follower of Foucault in the Oval Office. Graduates, let me say it plainly and incontrovertibly: George W. Bush is the first rhetoric-major president.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-oe-danner1jun01,1,3997016,print.story?coll=la-news-a_section