[lbo-talk] New Yorkers, help me on fact-finding mission on Jewish history!

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 10:08:34 PDT 2007

This is a long shot, but --

I've been dying of curiosity to find out what happened to two figures of some importance for the history of Russian Jewry, both of whom emigrated to New York. They are:

1. Beilis, the last Jew to be accused of blood libel in Russia. As far as I know his grandchildren still live in NYC. Is there a Beilis in the phone book?

2. Father Iliodor, the ideologue of the Black Hundreds. I know he moved to New York after the Revolution and that he worked as a janitor. I would imagine he wouldn't have been using the clerical name of Iliodor, given that he had been defrocked by Rasputin and since the name was associated with the Black Hundreds, which he had renounced by that time.

If you should come across any of the older Russian Jewish emigres in NYC, can you ask what they know about these two? I would inagine they would have been the subject of considerable interest in the community, even if they chose to keep a low profile (especially Iliodor, for obvious reasons).

Any info would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Don't pick lemons. See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos. http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html