[lbo-talk] FT on Israel boycott

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jun 1 11:29:37 PDT 2007

ravi wrote:

> I disagree with the general disparaging of boycotts etc -- or any
> form of activism that is non-negative (net result). As Carrol has
> noted (perhaps in a different context) we cannot know beforehand what
> actions will lead to positive change because actions do not have
> linear and continuous development.

>From the day of Babœuf's execution to the present the vast majority of
leftists around the world, most of the time, have had but one task: keeping something alive for the next generation. Consider the CPUSA in the early 1950s as THE archetype of left activity.

Neither weakness nor foredoomed failure is the least excuse not to carry on with this central left tradition of the last two centuries. Ravi is quite correct: the outcome of our actions can never be known in advance.

Carrol