[lbo-talk] Republic of Texas biker convention in Austin this week

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 12:33:18 PDT 2007

Had noticed tons 'o motorcycles 'round town lately -- found out this week and weekend is the "Republic of Texas" motorcycle rally. Just the name is creepy. A bizarre mix of mostly-bad music, stripper and "burlesque" shows (what a classy way to reappropriate a vintage/retro term for this stuff) and jingoist war memorials and patriotic salutes. Flags-and-eagles alongside strippers, beer, and tearful veterans' tributes.

http://www.rotrally.com/

This is one thing about the biker community I've never understood: Right alongside the Brando-esque leather gear and "rebel" image, and a lot of the unadulterated sleaziness and, let's face it, sexism of a lot of these shindigs, it coexists with this really bizarre sentimental patriotism sort of thing. Like that statistic that shows porn is more popular in red states than blue ones. Bush even recently greeted a biker group that endorsed him for Pres. in 2004. Oh, yeah, because this Yale male cheerleader is the one most yahoos could imagine having a beer with, a serious consideration.

Motorcycle group revs up Bush

By Ben Feller, Associated Press

WASHINGTON — President Bush likes a serene White House most Sundays. Every now and then, though, he is ready for a rumble.

[...]

No Memorial Day weekend in the capital is complete without the ritualistic rumble of Rolling Thunder. For 20 years now, the non-profit group has led a "Ride for Freedom" along the National Mall, a full-throttle demonstration in support of soldiers held captive or missing in action.

"How you doing, Artie? Welcome back," the president told Artie Muller, the founder and executive director of the non-profit group.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2007-05-27-bush-rolling-thunder_N.htm?csp=34

------

This is why Chris Doss or some wealthy sugar daddy/mama on the list needs to send me one of those Ural Gear-Up bikes. I'd love to loot and pillage Middle America on a Red Army WW2 replica bike and crash this Republic of Texas biker rally. I attended a Harley convention in Dallas and there was a booth for "Bikers for Jesus," too. They took donations for 9/11 victims and passed out proselytization lit that almost put Jack Chick comics to shame.

-B.