[lbo-talk] On a current issue in the constant psy-war....

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jun 2 07:13:03 PDT 2007

Mike Ballard wrote:

> CENTER FOR ECONOMIC AND POLICY RESEARCH
>
> Venezuela and the Media: Fact and Fiction
>
> It
> demonstrates again, as with the invasion of Iraq, how our news media are far
> too willing to carry water for Washington than to ascertain and report the
> truth of the matter.

This rhetoric (press "willing" to go along) embodies the whole question of how a capitalist ruling class rules. During the Cold War no one would have spoken of Pravda being "too willing to carry water for Moscow," and in some important way the relation is not different in respect to the "independent" media in the U.S. Those media are simply carrying their _own_ water, which in turn is Washington's "water." That's not an analysis but an effort to name what needs to be analyzed.

Carrol