[lbo-talk] FT on Israel boycott

tfast tfast at yorku.ca
Sat Jun 2 09:43:06 PDT 2007

That was pretty much my take when I lived there in 87-89 it really punished the cricket and rugby teams. Soccer would have been more of an issue but there was virtually no support for soccer in terms of international play. So in the case of the sports boycott it really hit the right people. I think as far as these things go it needs, as you indicate, to be placed within broader pressures and the overall campaign.

Part of why the Israeli boycott *seems* so useless is that there does not seem to be any broader context at this time.

PS they should have made an exception for Cricket so SA whites could watch brown folk regularly trounce them.

I spent a magic winter in SA in 2000 (i think) when Tiger took it all and the Williams took Wimbledon (sp?). ___________________________________

> And Giddens is just the tip of the iceberg.
>
> I did a very quick straw poll on the effect of the sports boycott here in
> SA. My partner says it helped 'conscientise' her but she's certainly part
of
> a tiny minority of whites who joined the movement. It probably did help to
> enthuse the movement in general. The boycott certainly pissed off whites
> enormously, especially rugby supporters. I saw grown men cry over the big
> demonstrations in NZ. I however doubt that the boycott achieved much in
the
> way of change in government policy. That was rather a consequence of mass
> resistance on the ground, a declining economy, the sudden withdrawal of
> Soviet support for the ANC and their entry into talks with the regime
> combined with pressure from them on the ANC to do a deal, and probably
some
> western pressure.

SA