[lbo-talk] new Nation web video duo

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jun 2 16:35:55 PDT 2007

[Astra and Laura brought you Zizek!]

Begin forwarded message:

From: Astra Taylor Date: June 2, 2007 12:49:23 PM EDT Subject: first web-doc for The Nation

Hi friends,

Apologies for the mass email.

Laura Hanna and I just did our first clip as official producers for VideoNation, the web documentary component of The Nation magazine. It's about the Iraq Veterans Against the War and we're hoping to get this piece out far and wide to spread the good word of the IVAW. If you know any folks or bloggers who may be interested -- or who may want to repost it for us -- please send it to them.

And check back the The Nation site in a few weeks for our second installment -- it'll be an animation about industrial food production.

Here's the description: Pointing imaginary guns and roughing up "Iraqi civilians", a group of antiwar veterans brought the realities of the Iraq debacle to Manhattan, in a Memorial Day protest that briefly turned the streets of the city into a combat zone. In "Operation First Casualty," a half- dozen members of Iraq Veterans Against the War employed the tactics of street theater to stage mini-dramas in Times Square, Union Square and the World Trade Center site, simulating sniper fire and staging mock arrests of fellow protesters who portrayed Iraqis. The group plans to take Operation First Casualty to the streets of Chicago June 17.

And the link: <http://www.thenation.com/doc/20070618/hannah_taylor>

All the best,

Astra