[lbo-talk] Announcing Muhammad Yunus' Candidacy to Head

tfast tfast at yorku.ca
Sun Jun 3 10:34:39 PDT 2007

> Comrade Patrick, I take all your points.
>
> A British debt-cancellation campaigner once told me, "Whenever there
> is a split on the World Bank board, we try to exacerbate it."
>
> When Jeff Sachs decides that "the only way to reform the IMF and the
> World Bank is to hit them over the head with a two-by-four," I am
> happy to hold his coat. Who doesn't want to see these institutions hit
> over the head with a two-by-four?
>
> RN
>
> > Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 08:15:43 +0700
> > From: Patrick Bond <pbond at mail.ngo.za>
> > Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Announcing Muhammad Yunus' Candidacy to Head
> > the World Bank
> > To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org
> >
> > Robert Naiman wrote:
> > > I'm sorry, Patrick, I thought I covered this. Can't we unite with the
liberals against the common enemy just this once? :)

> > Liberal - or neolib?
> >
> > ?I believe that ?government,? as we know it today, should pull out of
> > most things except for law enforcement and justice, national defense and
> > foreign policy, and let the private sector, a ?Grameenized private
> > sector,? a social-consciousness-driven private sector, take over their
> > other functions.? (From his autobiography.)
> >
> > Stay clear of this maniac, comrade!
> >
> > ***
> >

> > tfast wrote:
> > > He is not a real a economist, only fitting that he won a real Nobel.
> >
> > Econ PhD from Vanderbilt. Not as good as York poli-econ, to be sure...

It was more a joke about the faux Nobel in economics and who gets that than it was real question of his training. His stuff on credit is really applied policy from previously relieved wisdom on the problem of good information. His Nobel was,thus, not in economics signalling that he made little contribution to economics. Not a high priest but a member of the devoted leity.