[lbo-talk] Dallas could elect its first gay mayor

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 5 20:06:54 PDT 2007

This is a response to 'Bitch,' Doug and Ravi.

--- bitch at pulpculture.org wrote:

> Woj, are you really a comic book character? Like,
> does someone actually go
> over to your house every day and draw you?

[ws:] On this forum, I am even less than that - just a string of letters that does not even amount to a drawing. It is like in an old New Yorker cartoon - two dogs sitting in front of a computer screen and one saying to the other "On the internet nobody knows you are a dog."

As to Doug's comment - there are many things that are wrong in this world and for many reasons. The ones that you mention are just a tiny subset of them. So when that tiny subset is being put in my face time and again, I get bored. And when the story teller gets pissed that I am bored, I either get saracastic or tune out completely. It is difficult to endure literary kitsch while pretending that it is an earnest reflection of reality.

Do not get me wrong, I really enjoy this list - there are many smart people that have many interesting things to say, not to mention literary references that I find quite useful. But when they start bashing the usual suspects and demons, I feel like being preached to, and I have allergic aversion to preaching.

Finally Ravi's quotation of Gandhi on national liberation is right on the money. Indeed, national liberation is a worthy pursuit only inasmuch as it leads to social progress and a better quality of life for most people. If it does not, or even if it turns back the clock of social progress and worsens the quality of life, national liberation is unworthy and reactionary. By the same token, if a foreign domination leads to social progress and better quality of life for most people - it is a worthy pursuit.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________Ready for the edge of your seat? Check out tonight's top picks on Yahoo! TV. http://tv.yahoo.com/