[lbo-talk] Dallas could elect its first gay mayor

Russell Grinker grinker at mweb.co.za
Wed Jun 6 10:41:08 PDT 2007

Of course there is a distinction to be made between criticisms of a specific liberation movement made from inside your own country and criticism from outside - particularly from the 'imperialist heartland'. It's only right and proper to maintain a critical orientation towards nationalist politics in your own country and if necessary oppose them where they serve particular narrow interests (which they usually do in the last instance).

-Russell

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of ravi

I think we already have better ideas... the same old left framework/ criteria for defining principles, predicting and evaluating outcomes, and selecting an action. So there was Gandhi-Azad national liberation from the British. There was Jinnah national liberation from the British and India. There was Mujibur Rahman national liberation from Pakistan. We can and must evaluate each from the framework of the will and good of the people. Of course there are no guarantees of positive outcomes. But that does not necessitate abandoning a framework of more fundamental leftist values in favour of absolute support for an outcome such as national liberation.

Also, nationalism/sovereignty is not congruent with [national] liberation.