[lbo-talk] Dallas could elect its first gay mayor

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Jun 6 12:49:12 PDT 2007

Doug:

Normally I don't like to throw people's resumes at them, but really, Woj, you give me no choice. You're a PhD employed at a professional job by an elite university in the richest, most powerful country in the world. You are, in other words, near the top of the global social heap. Your "boredom" is a mask for your discomfort at being reminded of your privilege.

[WS:] I do not feel any discomfort because I do not feel privileged in any way. The logic that you offer above is a classic example of religious prostrating and mental self-flagellation taken strictly from the Roman Catholic Church - you are bad, Jesus died for you, repent! By that logic, everyone can be made feel guilty by suggesting a connection between his/her way of life and the misery of some other real or imaginary person or entity. Say, Doug, did you attend a Catholic school by any chance? (I did.)

But more seriously, I do not think there is a connection between my or for that matter your life style and the fate of other people - unless I or you specifically do something that affects those people. And since I did not do anything to make other people more miserable, au contraire I try to be as helpful as possible to most people with whom I interact - I do not see any reason to feel any discomfort of guilt. There is a lot of misery and suffering in the world - not just human but even more so animal - for which I care quite a bit - so feeling discomfort for all that misery would simply drive me - and every sane person - nuts.

On the other hand, I have a very definite attitude toward people who try to preach or guilt trip me. They are definitely not my cup of tea - not because I feel guilty but because I do not like the company of mountebanks and charlatans. That is why I do not want to have anything to do with organized religion, and that is why I find it annoying when I encounter it. I tolerate it on the Left because of other, more constructive and desirable qualities of this group of people, but my patience with guilt tripping is sometime wearing thin.

Wojtek