[lbo-talk] Computing R&D: science or enginering

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 7 14:07:23 PDT 2007

On 6/7/07, Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Tayssir John Gabbour:
> As for his substantive points, I don't see why math is
> any different. After all, scientists make frequent
> use of math. But maybe I misunderstand.
>
> He addresses this in the interview:
> [...]
> The utility of the machines we've fashioned from these
> ideas and methods took center stage, causing most of
> us to mistake the machine for the computing principle
> which, now that we're looking more carefully, we're
> beginning to see all around us in unexpected places.

I do agree with the argument that computer science isn't really about computers: it's more general than that.

But I think there's similar weirdness about why math is so useful to (say) physicists. Why should the universe act this way?

"The miracle of the appropriateness of the language of mathematics

for the formulation of the laws of physics is a wonderful gift

which we neither understand nor deserve. We should be grateful for

it and hope that it will remain valid in future research and that

it will extend, for better or for worse, to our pleasure, even

though perhaps also to our bafflement, to wide branches of

learning."

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~matc/MathDrama/reading/Wigner.html

(I found Kolmogorov's claim pretty convincing though, that math is the distillation of much human experience, and so it shouldn't be too surprising that we find ideas from math pretty applicable. Maybe we perceive numbers and the structure of 3D visual space all over the place because of the way our brains are wired. But I'm not at all very knowledgeable about math or philosophy, so take this with a grain of salt.)

Tayssir

-- [Disclaimer: I only skimmed the Wigner link I offered. ;) Too much of what I perceived as gushing. Many of us see mathematics as a dull thing, imposed from above, and papers like those tend to trip my unreality meter.]