[lbo-talk] celebrity unit

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 7 14:53:57 PDT 2007

>How do you not know this?
>Have you not seen a picture of these rooms?
>Do you not know you take your meals in the privacy of your room in this
>unit?
>Do you not know what the conditions in the "Non-celebrity units" are like?
>It is not just about denying the riff-raff access.
>Units like this offer greater privacy, more comfort, and more privilege.
>This isn't a ground breaking discovery on my part, but rather common
>knowledge.
>
>John Thornton

I know a little about jail. I also know that the cell Hilton stayed in is like every other cell and that she had the same food as everyone else. I said earlier that "celebrity unit" is a misnomer. She was in protective custody, the same as cops who get sent to jail. That's why she took her meals in private, so she wouldn't get fucked up in the general population. Yes, she was treated differently than most other prisoners, but jail is jail. Yes, she got out early, but so do about 40,000 other people a year in Los Angeles County.

There is very much wrong with our criminal justice and prison systems and I talk about it here all the time, but making stuff up never helps an argument.