[lbo-talk] Olympic displacement

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jun 8 00:45:34 PDT 2007

1. Most things that George Monbiot says are daft

2. Londoners are very glad to have the Olympics

3. Of course it raises some issues of priorities that people will argue about

4. Gentrification is not a problem in itself (except in the very broadest sense that social inequality is a problem, which I do not see anyone seriously suggesting can be overthrown by the siting or not of the Olympics)

5. The real problem is that Britain builds too few houses (a problem that I was among the first to raise, seven years ago, but has since been accepted by everyone but the Campaign for the Protection of Rural England)

6. That means that the rich use their money to secure the best sites for themselves, forcing the poor to live in overcrowded and dilapidated dwellings

7. There would be no great problem in letting the better off colonise Shoreditch, if the poor had somewhere well built to move to