[lbo-talk] Announcing Muhammad Yunus' Candidacy to Head the World Bank

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Fri Jun 8 06:01:39 PDT 2007

I assure you that I am still very much in favor of defunding and "decommissioning" the World Bank. I am also, as I always was, in favor of "decommissioning by pieces," or "abolitionist reforms," like getting the World Bank out of things and to stop doing things - water privatization, funding large dams, for example.

I am also in favor of reforms that improve the playing field for future efforts, like increasing transparency at the IMF and World Bank boards. As I noted in my paper on the issue of user fees in the health sector in Tanzania, we passed a law saying that the U.S. had to oppose such fees. When the PRSP for Tanzania came to the World Bank board, the meeting was held in secret - as always - and there were no published minutes - as always - so there was no way for members of the public or Congress to directly know if U.S. Treasury was complying with the Congressional mandate. (We obtained a leaked copy of the minutes of the World Bank board meeting indicating that staff had mentioned the issue, noting the opposition of NGOs, but there was no record of any government opposition or even discussion.)

And I am also in favor of anything increasing the level of open conflict at the World Bank board, because that increases the level of transparency. So I think that further conflict over the Presidency could be useful, even though we all know they can find a nonwhite person from outside the United States to implement the same policies.

On the issue of microcredit, I concede that it's murky and contested. But while it seems to me obvious that it's not a panacea, and is no substitute for an aggressive national economic development strategy, it's not obvious to me that it shouldn't be part of the mix. It's part of the mix in Venezuela, which gives me some pause about dismissing it completely.

In "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised," the Irish documentary about the coup in Venezuela, there's a scene where Chavez is asking his ministers about an agricultural development program. "Are there microcredits?" Chavez asks, clearly indicating that Chavez thinks this is an important component.

I was in Venezuela in December on a delegation organized by the Venezuela Information Office. We met with some folks from the co-op movement. They indicated that there was a "microcredit" component to one of the government's key employment programs. The state offers vocational training. People who successfully complete the program are offered government financing to start an enterprise. The catch is that you have to form a coop. So, if you are training to be a hairdresser, you might try to team up with someone else in the training program who is also training to be a hairdresser. Kind of like speed-dating.

Venezuela could be wrong, of course. I'm just suggesting that perhaps we ought to distinguish between dismissing microcredit as a development panacea, where I agree, and dismissing it as potentially a useful part of the mix, where I am more agnostic.