[lbo-talk] Nietzche

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri Jun 8 09:07:37 PDT 2007

On 8 Jun, 2007, at 10:28 AM, BklynMagus wrote:

> All this educated chat about Nietzche makes me
> want to read the old boy. So I ask: which
> translation into English is best for someone
> who cannot tackle him in the original?

Krell's translation of Hidegger's Nietzsche volumes are interesting:

http://tinyurl.com/25ng5v

There is a fellow named Walter Kauffman who has made a career out of translating Nietzsche. Since I cannot read Nietzsche in original either, I cannot tell you if he (Kauffman) does a good job of it, but he is usually well thought of.

I am no Nietzsche scholar, but such lack of qualification has never impaired my pontifications on other matters, so in that vein, I recommend that you strongly resist the temptation to spend any time on Thus Spake Zarathustra. For quotability, laughs and fun, nothing can beat Beyond Good and Evil.

Enjoy,

--ravi