[lbo-talk] celebrity unit

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 8 09:26:45 PDT 2007

John wrote:

>Since you seem to believe Paris deserved special treatment
>which idea explains this belief better? Do you prefer the comfort of
>erroneously believing prison is less violent than it actually is or do
>you believe that a threat to Paris is worse than a threat to a randomly
>chosen inmate?

I know very well how violent prison is. That's why it is routine for people like Hilton to go into protective custody. I'm talking about how the jails and prisons work.

Here's what I think is being missed. Ask yourself who made the decision to release her. It wasn't the judge and it wasn't the prosecutor. It was the sheriff's department that runs the jails. Why would they want her out? Because officials who run jails don't want anyone knowing what goes on inside. Over 20 prisons have been built in California since 1984. Most of the prisoners confined there are from Los Angeles County. Most of the prisons, particularly the maximum security facilities, are far from Los Angeles County. Prison authorities don't want a lot of family visits because they know families will talk about what's happening to their loved ones.

The California prison guards union is one of the most powerful political forces in the state. People running the jails have too much authority and too much political juice and I think that is one of the biggest problems we have.

Paris was released not to protect her, but to keep attention away from the jails. They don't want reporters hanging around for days, nor do they want thousands of people reading Paris's jail journal. And they definitely don't want the scrutiny that would follow if anything happened to her.

>What did anyone "make up"?
>The special needs unit is more comfortable, more private, and has more
>privileges. Nothing made up about that.

This is just not true. In pay to stay jails maybe, but she was in county jail. The special needs unit is not "more comfortable". Generally, special needs unit means the place you put people with mental problems. There's nothing more comfortable about it. And there aren't more privileges either. You say taking meals alone is a privilege. You can also call it solitary confinement. Not that Paris was traumatized by three days of that.

The real meaning of privilege means never going to jail in the first place, not what happens on the rare occasion that someone like Hilton goes to jail. Like that nimrod Phil Spector who's been out on bail on a murder charge with far more evidence against him than a lot of gangbangers in jail awaiting trial on the same charge.