[lbo-talk] Nietzche: Left or Right? (was Re: Bush and Foucault)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 8 12:33:52 PDT 2007

I certainly hope I didn't suggest any sort of simple-minded reductionism in advocating a futile attempt to replace sociology by psychology. But I think that it's been a weakness of historical materialism that it has never really hooked up its very good sociological analysis to a micro-explanation of how the sociology is realized in individual human beings and operates through them -- a very different proposition from the idea that we can could "dispense" with sociology is we had the right psychology, or even exhaustively explain the sociology in terms of individual psychology. Both of these ideas are erroneous in my view. We need both sociology and psychology.

One thing I like about Nietzsche is that he manages to do two things that Marx does not, except in in some historical narratives: (1) deploy a really sensitive and sophisticated psychology, much more articulated and intelligent than the simple interesting/desire maximization of mechanical materialism or rational choice theory and (2) hold that psychology in just the right sort of dialectical relationship with a social class analysis, neither attempting to explain the social phenomena as a mere effect of psychology or vice versa, nor holding the two separate apart as if they had nothing to do with one another.