[lbo-talk] Jenna Jameson, Paris Hilton etc

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jun 8 15:19:10 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2007, at 5:49 PM, Ismail Lagardien wrote:
>
> > Is there ANY way one can get away from this? There was a time,
> > when, each time a was in the checkout line at the Pig, I read about
> > Aniston and Pitt, then it was Pitt and Jolie. I feel like this shit
> > is taking over my life!!!! I suppose now the check out line will
> > have the scooop on Paris &^%$ing Hilton.
>
> Check out tmz.com. You won't even have to leave your house!
>
> I was fascinated to learn in Sven Beckert's history of the NYC
> bourgeoisie that fantabulous parties and gossip sheets were an
> essential part of that bourgeoisie's rise from the 1870s onward.
> Truly there is nothing new under the sun.

Which is a nod in the direction of _not_ splitting the capitalist class into fragments according to some quasi-marxist formula. If you separate off rentiers, for example, as a different class you obscure the inner structure of the class. Only about half of the working class actually has jobs. Less than half of the capitalist class has anything to do with managing capital.

Carrol