[lbo-talk] Nietzsche Selection

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 8 16:15:36 PDT 2007

ravi wrote:

"Sorry old chap, but that was a bad move [Bklynmagu's choosing _Twilight of the Idols_. The man was literally off the wall starting about 1888, and Twilight of the Idols, IIRC, was right at the onset. If you had to dabble in 'late' then Ecce Homo would have been a better choice, IMHO."

Ravi,

Bollocks -- I have the Penguin edition _Twilight of the Idols/_The Anti-Christ_ as one book, and yes, it's a later work, but for someone getting into him at first O think it's a real firecracker of a starter and can whet the appetite for more. I'd compare it someone asking what Metallica album to get first, and recommending something more aggressive and crackling with energy like _Ride the Lightning_, than the later, drier stuff. No one said Bklynmagus has to stop with _Twilight/Anti-Christ_ -- but out of all his stuff I find those two some of Nietzsche's more provocative and incendiary works.

I am also wary of _What Nietzsche Really Meant_-type stuff. Why isn't there a _What Bertrand Russell Really Meant_? Oh yeah, because Russell wrote what he meant. I assume Nietzsche did, too. So go to the horse's mouth, as well, instead of through 3rd parties.

-B.