[lbo-talk] Nietzsche Selection

Brian Charles Dauth magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 8 18:19:41 PDT 2007

> The man was literally off the wall starting about 1888, and
Twilight of the Idols, IIRC, was right at the onset.

If this work is the product of someone being off the wall, then maybe more people should aspire to Nietzsche's condition.

I am only 1/3 of the way through, but right away I had the sense of reading the text with my whole body and not just my mind. Instead of writing to foreclose all meanings but one (which is how a good deal of philosophy strikes me), Nietzsche seems to be trying to expand meaning, celebrate the pluralistic, and bring the human body back into the realm of the valued.

He debunks reason and yet does so in the most rational way. He uses language in a way that refuses to allow me to take for granted that I truly know (in the sense of robustness) what a particular word or phrase means or reverberates in the world.

And at least in this translation, Nietzsche comes across as a fabulous, bitchy queen -- the perfect thinker for Gay Pride Month. He looks askance, stands astride, and cries out: "Rethink the puce!"

Brian