[lbo-talk] Nietzsche: Free will

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Jun 8 22:19:36 PDT 2007

The discussion of Nietzsche encouraged me to pull out Twilight of the Idols again. Here's a great passage on the concept of free will:

The error of free will. Today we no longer have any tolerance for the idea of "free will": we see it only too clearly for what it really is — the foulest of all theological fictions, intended to make mankind "responsible" in a religious sense — that is, dependent upon priests. Here I simply analyze the psychological assumptions behind any attempt at "making responsible."

Whenever responsibility is assigned, it is usually so that judgment and punishment may follow. Becoming has been deprived of its innocence when any acting-the-way-you-did is traced back to will, to motives, to responsible choices: the doctrine of the will has been invented essentially to justify punishment through the pretext of assigning guilt. All primitive psychology, the psychology of will, arises from the fact that its interpreters, the priests at the head of ancient communities, wanted to create for themselves the right to punish — or wanted to create this right for their God. Men were considered "free" only so that they might be considered guilty — could be judged and punished: consequently, every act had to be considered as willed, and the origin of every act had to be considered as lying within the consciousness (and thus the most fundamental psychological deception was made the principle of psychology itself).

Whenever people talk about "agency" or "personal responsibility" on LBO I think about Nietzsche's argument above: the notion of free will is nothing more than a useful fiction that justifies power relations. In my view, the usefulness of Fred for leftists, despite Fred's own dubious political beliefs, is pretty obvious here.

Miles