[lbo-talk] Nietzsche: Free will

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 8 21:53:12 PDT 2007

Miles,

Great quote. And awhile back I also forwarded a passage wherein Nietzsche seemed to just *nail* it re: the perpetual puzzle among leftists as to why so many folks are complicit in their own oppression/subjugation.

It should also be noted that Bakunin was against the idea of free will as well, though I can't remember if it was for reasons similar to Nietzsche's. Bakunin went into this in _God & the State_ and it's also detailed in _The Basic Bakunin_.

Another note: A lot of Nietzsche's writing was done in response to, or with the full knowledge of, contemporary individualist anarchist, and fellow German, Max Stirner; Stirner was granted a place in the masterful _No Gods, No Masters_ compendium of anarchist thought, edited by Daniel Guerin and published by AK Press originally in several volumes. If I'm not mistaken, there might even be a diatribe Nietzsche wrote especially about Stirner. ("The great are only great because we are on our knees.") Not sure.

-B.

Miles Jackson wrote:

"Whenever people talk about "agency" or "personal responsibility" on LBO I think about Nietzsche's argument above: the notion of free will is nothing more than a useful fiction that justifies power relations. In my view, the usefulness of Fred for leftists, despite Fred's own dubious political beliefs, is pretty obvious here."