[lbo-talk] Nietzsche: Free will

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jun 9 08:01:45 PDT 2007

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> One name for the position is "compatibilism," and it's
> a pretty standard view held by a wide variety of
> thinkers. Hume was probably the first person to
> formulate the position in anything like a modern form.

It's been over 50 years since I read this, but I think Jonathan Edwards claimed that we were responsible only if we were _not_ free; if we were free than every act was by a different person and we could not be held responsible for it; but if we were not free, then our acts represented what we really were and we were respnsible.

Carrol