[lbo-talk] Nietzsche: Free will

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Jun 9 12:00:09 PDT 2007

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 10:01:28 -0700 (PDT) andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> writes:

> Edwards believed in the Calvinist doctrine of
> predestination, not in causal determinism, which is
> what I am sure Joanne and I know Hume and Nietzsche,
> advocate. The following links are useful in making
> the distinction:

I am not sure that I quite agree with that. Edwards was quite familar with the new mechanistic science of Isaac Newton and the philosophies of Locke and Berkeley. I think that to a large extent he fudged the difference between causal determinism and Calvinist predestination, which he thought he could do, since he subscribed to a form of Berkeleyian idealism which viewed the natural world as ideas in God's mind. So from that perspective, causal determinism would reduce to predestination anyway. Apart from that, his writings on free will remain of interest because he made a very strong case that the notion of libertarian free will is incoherent. I think he was right about that. BTW his book, "Freedom of the Will" can be found online here:

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/edwards/will.html