[lbo-talk] Cheap, safe, clean fusion ...

Tim Francis-Wright tim at francis-wright.com
Sat Jun 9 13:30:48 PDT 2007

Jordan Hayes wrote:
> http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199703602
>
> It's a little geeky, but there's a pointer to a talk that the guy
> gave at Google (which is also a great intro into the issues, plus
> funny commentary, but again, fairly geeky) ... but it's an
> interesting take on "how do we power the future?" ... also
> interesting is that he's not interested in making money on it,
> though he says of course there's plenty of that in there, too.
> ---
> Now, in a proposal titled "Should Google Go Nuclear?"
> [ video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1996321846673788606 ],
> Bussard presents an alternative to thermonuclear fusion. He
> claims an inertial electrostatic confinement (IEC) reactor
> can provide fusion power that is simpler, cleaner and cheaper
> than would be possible under the various routes now being
> pursued by the Department of Energy.
>
> "Everything [the DOE] is doing is highly radioactive and
> expensive--measured in tens of billions of dollars, with
> projected run-out costs of greater than $12 billion, plus
> another $30 billion over the next 20 or 30 years. The
> United States has already spent $18 billion [on fusion],"
> said Bussard. "And there is no end in sight."
>
> By contrast, Bussard estimates startup costs of $200 million
> for an IEC fusion reactor that would operate at 95% efficiency.

Sigh. Boron-proton fusion is certainly something that has gotten a good deal of funding to date (though not nearly as much as deuterium-tritium fusion). The problems it faces are certainly daunting, and the claim of a $200 million reactor is almost risible. (DOE has spent a lot of money in inertial confinement in nuclear weapons research--and it would be doing a lot more of it if it were really easy.)

For one thing Boron-proton fusion, when it works, generates X-rays: the process of converting X-rays into electricity is not trivial. For another, if the proton stream is contaminated with deuterium, the resulting reaction creates neutrons, so even though the process is theoretically aneutronic, in practice the neutrons will need to be dealt with.

But the biggest problem is that the initial energy required for B-p fusions are far higher than the energies required for D-T fusion. Those lower energies have to date proven daunting in laboratory settings; it is hard to see how a manifold increase will not face similar difficulties.

--tim francis-wright