[lbo-talk] Pop Culture: Children of Men

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Jun 9 19:59:52 PDT 2007

I saw "Children of Men" and was underimpressed.

Vague brushstrokes of a post 9/11 anti-immigrant society with a non-existent birthrate, except for a would-be madonna, the black ur mother, all over again....gratuitously barren of everything except a foetus -- a girl.

Sometimes, when you do a plot that's set in the future, it is less obvious that you are building a house of cliches. No reason given for the drop in fertility....justs heavy-handed vacuous allegory from start to finish.

Joanna