[lbo-talk] Jenna Jameson, Paris Hilton etc

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Sat Jun 9 20:06:11 PDT 2007

At 8:19 AM -0400 9/6/07, Julio Huato wrote:

>Carrol wrote:
>> Which is a nod in the direction of
>> _not_ splitting the capitalist class
>> into fragments according to some
> > quasi-marxist formula. If you
>> separate off rentiers, for example,
>> as a different class you obscure the
>> inner structure of the class. Only
>> about half of the working class
>> actually has jobs. Less than half of
>> the capitalist class has anything to
>> do with managing capital.
>
>On the contrary. To defeat the parasites politically, we need them
>divided. So we need to pit each fragment against the others, drive
>wedges in every little political, social, economic, cultural,
>demographic cranny of difference among them, turn them into social and
>political dust.

A clever tactic, too clever by half perhaps.

What you're overlooking is that tactics have to be consistent with overarching strategy.

Here's the problem though, this tactic of divide and rule relies on using propaganda to fool the capitalist class into believing they have fundamentally conflicting interests. But such propaganda is much more likely to fool many people in the working class than it is to fool members of the capitalist class.

Assuming the overarching strategy must be to unite the working class, a tactic spreading lies which will confuse the working class will undermine the only strategy which can be effective. So propaganda needs to be based on honesty.

That's the trouble with propaganda, there's always the tendency to be taken in by your own bullshit. That way lies disaster.

Anyhow, you're wrong. To defeat the parasites, we need only unite the working class. We don't need to divide the capitalist class. They need to divide us to rule, because they are a tiny minority.

So you are wrong on many levels.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas