[lbo-talk] Nietzsche: Free will

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Sun Jun 10 06:28:46 PDT 2007

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu>

>Admitted, the rhetoric is somewhat sloppily composed -- but I would
argue that we can oppose all the listed horrors above without invoking any doctrine of responsibility; perhaps without even invoking the word in any of its neutral senses (which it does have), since English is richly supplied with synonyms & paraphrases. (The reference to "just neurochemicals" is beside the point.) I want torture to stop -- but it's incidental to me whether someone is made morally responsible for its occurrence. Swift writes somplace that he was glad the hawk that had been raiding his chickens had been shot, though that was nothing against the hawk.

And as a matter of fact, concepts of responsibility have probably interfered with the struggle against atrocities (including Abu Ghraib) in Iraq. The responsibility of a few enlisted personnel replaced the the question of state policy.

Quite, and of course state policy simply emerges behind the backs of the agents of the state...Who on this list hasn't questioned state policy and the people who've made it what it is?

>And most of those "horrible human tragedies" pale into insignificnce
when compared against the ongoing daily horror of prison systems, sexual oppression, social exclusion of reprobates, etc.

Carrol

And of course the behaviors that generate and sustain those daily horrors once again simply emerge behind the backs of citizens. You know, like every firm and agent is a price taker in the old neoclassical economics........