[lbo-talk] Torture Re: Nietzsche: Free will

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 10 21:35:29 PDT 2007

No, the puzzle is why people who would in fact rejoice if Pinochet or Kissinger were brought up on charges feel obliged to pretend that they think it's barbaric to feel that way or do that sort of thing. In fact it would barbaric _not_ to do that sort of thing. Decent people support justice, although of course in a free society people will differ about what that involves. (Hence democracy, to resolve such differences peaceably.) But apart from a few philosophers whose brains have been washed by some metaphysical doctrine, I actually do trust that if push comes to shove, all of you would jump the right way on this one too.

Jordan, don't be scared, no one would trust me with a position of power, and my entirely justified view that anti-retributivists aren't being honest about their beliefs, and in general that very often others can know what we really think better than we can ourselves (in historical materialist terms this is a basic premise of the theory of ideology) does not commit me to any sort of paternalism -- something I'd vigorously oppose. So if I ended up on the losing side of a vote about whether to let the torturers go untouched, I'd abide by the results.