[lbo-talk] Torture Re: Nietzsche: Free will

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 09:29:13 PDT 2007

I am not conflating feeling with thinking. The opposition is false. Feeling is thinking. Morality is about appropriate moral emotions. Justice without outrage at injustice is incomplete. In my terms you are saying that it is inappropriate feel outrage and anger if torturers walk around unscathed regardless of the deterrent value of punishing them. Put that way, I suggest that it puts the ball back in your court. Obviously it is not inappropriate to feel that way. And if it is not inappropriate to feel that way, why is it inappropriate to act on our feelings? Wrongdoers deserve retribution because they have taken things that they are not entitled to and wrongfully imposed harm or the undeserving. They should be deprived of the value of the benefits that they have misappropriated for themselves. That's the basic idea.

I actually regard the utilitarianism you implicitly espouse (treating the impulse to revenge as a sociobiological route to minimizing suffering) as horrific, degrading, and obviously indefensible. In the context of the theory of punishment, utilitarianism, for example, gives us no reason punish only the guilty and would support disproportionately cruel punishments of guilty or innocent people if these would have good deterrent effects. There are a lot of other reasons that utilitarianism is a bad doctrine, but we can start with those.