[lbo-talk] Nikki Finke speaks for the philistines

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 00:05:27 PDT 2007

Geez it only occurred to me now that I really am the list representative of philistine-leninism.

This whole season of the sopranos sucked!

Okay, alot of the old sociological and psychological brilliance was still there. Little things. Like, the representation of the conflict between protestants and catholics that was eventually resolved on rightist terms in the 70s--- this year you had phil leotardo's catholic wife (or I'm remembering wrong?) talking about how "that nice protestant minister is coming today to talk about" 'fixing' gays. And the way tony was initially moved by the evangelical fundie who wanted to pray with him in the hospital room, but then wierded out by his "the world is biblically only 6000 years old" rap. This stuff is all so deeply, probingly dead-on about religion and north jersey.

But all this year there were no drawn out dramatic plot arcs! Nothing like the beginning, middle, and end of Adreanna's informing and then being offed. Or like Pussy. Or Junior. this year it was just a buncha half-assed fiddling with brilliant ideas like that AJ is spoiled and cristopher sometimes relapses. Bah.

I actually did like the sentimentality of the very last scene. If I like Journey, do I like america? whatever, that song is the shit. Certainly the most sadly rushed fadeout in american pop music. I used to play accordion in a band that covered that song.

Also what's up with dauth sayin its heterophilliac? The sopranos had the most penetrating portrayal of closeted gay life in a traditionalist catholic white ethnic community ever. Vito's killers were portrayed as flat out evil, a rare thing in that show. And the new hampshire biker diner cook homo? Hott! What a cool turn for vito's exile. I mean I guess its hetcentric in the way all mainstream media is...