[lbo-talk] Is this the end of Tony?

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Jun 12 07:55:58 PDT 2007

Brian Charles Dauth wrote:
> Sucking up to the boss maybe? But there were moments where the
> series moved beyond competence visually. I just do not think they
> were numerous/complex enough for THE SOPRANOS to be deemed
> a great work of visual art.

Let's keep this in perspective: the Sopranos is an episodic TV show on a cable network. I don't think it's feasible for this medium to generate great works of visual art. What amazes me is how a show as good as the Sopranos (and measured against other episodic TV shows on cable, it is good!) thrived in the HBO entertainment-industrial complex. TV execs seem to have an unerring knack for fucking up and killing good shows (Firefly and Dead like me come to mind).

Miles