[lbo-talk] Is this the end of Tony?

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 12 09:52:16 PDT 2007

> I don't think it's feasible for this medium to generate
great works of visual art.

Robert Altman

Combat! Ingmar Bergman

Fanny and Alexander John Cassavetes

Johnny Staccato Rainer Werner Fassbinder

Jail Bait

Eight Hours a Day are Not Enough

World on a Wire

Martha

Fear of Fear

Berlin Alexanderplatz Federico Fellini

Orchestra Rehearsal John Frankenheimer

Playhouse 90 Joseph L. Mankiewicz

A Carol for Another Christmas Mike Nichols

Angels in America Carl Reiner

The Dick Van Dyke Show Jacques Rivette

Out 1 Roberto Rossellini

The Rise of Louis XIV

Socrate

Pascal

The Age of the Medici

Descartes Franklin J. Schaffner

Studio One

Playhouse 90 Joss Whedon

Firefly

> What amazes me is how a show as good as the Sopranos
(and measured against other episodic TV shows on cable, it is good!)

That's akin to asserting that a singer who is off pitch only half the time should be considered good because she could be off pitch all of the time. That THE SOPRANOS was better than most of the wretched fare on television means that it is superior to horrible. But being superior to horrible does not necessarily translate into being good.

Brian