[lbo-talk] This is the End of Tony

Blackmail blackmail.is.my.life at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 11:12:29 PDT 2007

On 6/12/07, Jerry Monaco <monacojerry at gmail.com> wrote:

> JM: Chase is simply not good (in fact he is lousy) at the kind of visual
> aesthetics that you prefer. The visual incompetence was not intended but
> it
> was necessary. Let's put it another way. Dreiser was a lousy "writer",
> one
> of the worse prose stylists who ever wrote a novel. He was also a great
> story-writer and wrote two novels that I wish all educated United
> Statsians
> would read. Chase was a lousy visual stylist. But who cares? He made
> his
> stories to poke you in the eye with grotesque jokes, and if I can be over
> intellectual about it, alienation effects that had strong impact.

Did nobody else see the sit-down scene in the finale held in the frozen warehouse? This was visually astounding. Also: Paulie and Tony on the boat, etc. It's not Antonioni meets Wong Kar-Wai or anything, but they were very effective imo.

I'd say that seasons 1-3 & 6 redeemed the soap opera-y seasons 4-5.

Cheers, J T. -- j t. ramsay music editor comcast interactive media 1500 market st., 18th floor west philadelphia, pa, 19102