[lbo-talk] On Abortion, Hollywood Is No-Choice

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 22:31:26 PDT 2007

On 6/12/07, Yoshie Furuhashi <critical.montages at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" is
> the rare American film in which abortion is legal and dealt with
> matter-of-factly — and it is 25 years old.

There's a scene where Jennifer Jason Leigh's character tells the dirtbag she slept with that she is pregnant. His response is, "We gotta do something. We gotta get you an abortion."

When I saw the film on network TV some time in the 90s, the second line had been edited out.

They didn't edit out the fact that she *had* an abortion - just the character talking about it!