[lbo-talk] This is the End of Tony

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jun 13 10:53:15 PDT 2007

> This started with you asking why people like the Sopranos
so much. I've been trying to answer that. I think what's important about the show has little to do with what you're talking about.

I realize that, but what I find fascinating is many people (not you Dennis) accord THE SOPRANOS a status of aesthetic greatness based on their perception of significance with regard to non-aesthetic attributes of the show. It is this transposition from non-aesthetic to aesthetic that I find interesting (from an anthropological point of view).

Dennis:

> Speak for yourself.

I am doing just that.

> Talk about mise-en-scene or auteur theory leaves me pretty
cold and I didn't find myself distracted by visual incompetence.

Seems logical to me. If mise en scene is something you do not respond to, then incompetence in that area would not be distracting. Since I care about mise en scene (and visual art in general), I did find its abuse distracting.

> Not to mention Chase didn't direct even close to every episode.

But here we run up against Jerry's claim of a Sopranos house-style.

Jordan:

> Ok, OK we get it! You didn't like it.

I am saying a lot more than that. I do not see any need to be nasty toward me. If you are uninterested in a thread on aesthetics just press the delete key.

Brian