[lbo-talk] Fwd: Antioch College Closing!

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 03:15:47 PDT 2007

Given the unanimous mourning for antioch on this list, I dunno if this means anything on this list, but-

I live in OH now, in columbus. All my housemates other than me are native buckeyes, from blue-collar backgrounds (parents former factory workers or truckers). Each of the three reacted the same way to the antioch news the same way: with glee. Could not have been happier. In fact the news was toasted and laughed at uproariously.

The general opinion was, the fewer rich liberal kids in the state the better. there was a widespread perception that antiochers were rich idiot silver spooners. In fact an idea was debated to use our houses' new lockpicking kit to go break into the campus grounds this summer and declare a 'peoples college'. I don't live with full-time lefties, mostly just ohio-bred ex-punk kids. I thought it might be interesting, given the disputes about the place the left occupies in the US these days.

BTW I used to work on a hospital organizing campaign in the blue-collar factory town springfield next to antioch. 98% of regional RNs did not live in antioch, but the rare housecall one had in antioch, was a treasured moment bc one got to then get lunch at the veggie restraunts of yellow springs as opposed to long john silvers or burger king back in sfield. We used to pretend we hated having to be in yellow springs, but secrelty, would find reasons to all go to yellow springs on our nights off to be in counterculture land yellow springs. Pretty much we just went there to pick fistfights with nader swingstate voters.