[lbo-talk] Fwd: Antioch closing!

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 22:05:57 PDT 2007

I don't mean to be a hater for its own sake. And certainly, we do need a larger transformation in values, critical outlook and ideology among much of the public at large to change the world. I would argue that the only way we'll move an inch in that direction is building a mass institutional power base of working people who identify their gains in money and security with that type of larger movement. But those deeper changes that are needed, hey, certainly, american left strongholds like subcultures or the humanities academia have made some great contributions. But I confess taking delight in pointing out the extent to which the subculture and lefty academia are openly mocked by the public as being foo-foo and silly, because leftists need to spend less time in places like yellow springs and more time in places like springfield. Broadly speaking that is. I mean I know it's not all either/or, but, maybe to some extent it is.

Years ago I dated a person who was enrolled at the very similar Goddard in Vermont, so I spent a lotta time up there. Blech! Goddard eventually closed, and I don't see it as the biggest tragedy for the left that future hippy kids will have to major in bong ideology elsewhere.

So, Jim, what is the ultimate point of trying to organize the working