[lbo-talk] Taibbi (was Re: Fwd: Antioch College Closing!)

Mr. WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 07:37:41 PDT 2007

Clearly there have always been people on the left who have been dedicated to working to improve the direct material interests of the working class, and many of them are young. Actually, it seems that with the emergence of USAS in the late 1990s, there has been an _increase_ in the number of young people working on economic issues (and yes, I define "economic issues" very broadly to include all of the things you mentioned -- including anti-war activity).

Maybe I didn't read the piece carefully enough, but nothing in it suggested to me that Taibbi had any problem with, say, USAS or anyone who is organizing against the war (aside from his comment about ANSWER's Che t-shirts). Instead -- and in a counterproductive tone, I'll agree -- Taibbi criticizes the American left's total aversion to privileging any kind of good political activity over other good political activity. Like you, I can offer no clear answers at the moment about what The Solution to the American left's predicament might be. However, isn't it at least fair to ask the question as to whether it is more urgent to, say, agitate for universal health care than, say, advocating for calling civil unions to be recognized as "marriages"? And yet, in many circles within the American left, merely raising this possibility is going to evoke howls of righteous indignation.

We need to start a conversation about which issues are most important when it comes to advancing the long-term political goals I think most/all of us share. I'll go out on a limb and say those are 1) stop. the. war. and 2) amnesty/citizenship for all illegal immigrants now, as this would substantially empower those on the lowest rungs of the working class.

-WD