[lbo-talk] Taibbi (was Re: Fwd: Antioch College Closing!)

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 15 10:14:58 PDT 2007

> Explain to Brian, in plain words, why it doesn't
matter that his marriage can't be recognized in the US, and why he should put off worry about this and for how long. Oh, I'm sorry, is that a howl of outrage?

How dare you channel my outrage sir!

Cosmopolitans at 20 paces. You name the time (but it must be after 5:00 p.m.).

> Why isn't that economic activity, btw, since
marriage is primarily a bundle of economic rights?

That is what I thought when I read what Mr. WD had posted. Certainly, the economic effect is obvious in Terrance's and my life together. Our life would be less stressful if we could marry.

Also, what about working class queers? They would be helped by ending discrimination and extending marriage equality to all.

> But maybe you think there are too few active gays
for that to matter?

I have often wondered if some leftists are soft on marriage equality since it would help all classes of people. Queers are everywhere. There is also the problem America (both left and right) has with dealing with anything that smacks of sexuality, so out of sight, out of mind on queer issues might be a soothing approach for some.

While we can never know with accuracy what percentage of the population is queer, if you go to the low end of the scale and use a figure like 3.5%, that adds up to 10.5 million people you write off when you ignore queers.

Brian