[lbo-talk] Taibbi (was Re: Fwd: Antioch College Closing!)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 15 12:43:07 PDT 2007

Since, evidently, you won't or can't answer the questions I put you, which were to explain which issues were the important ones and why, and also, I guess, how to enforce your decisions, but prefer to treat a bit of bristle as a PC howl (my, you ARE thin-skinned), I suggest you just be quiet and do the sort of work you think is best until you decide that you either have the answers that can be put in a way that people can understand or can stand a bit of rough and tumble -- and I'm pretty nice, most of the time, comparatively.

Personally I'll tell you what I told Dick Rorty, that vulgar Marxism is a flop (he didn't like that at all), that you can priorities till we are blue in the face but you can't make anyone do anything, and that we can have the perfect program but the spirits of the vastly deep will not answer us unless they want to. He got that dumb shit from his (ex-)Trot parents and kept it even when he became an anti-communist, you know, the idea that if we run the Correct Line, in this case Bring Back The New Deal and forget anything that will alienate white unemployed ex-steelworkers in Youngstown, then we can elect Democrats and all will be well. Childish.

You know, I can't speak for them, but think that Brian, or for that matter my sister (who's also gay) might be willing to sacrifice their own interests in human treatment if there was _any reason_, by which I mean, say, a demonstrable 5% probability, that doing so would actually advance the interests of the "working class as a whole" in some material way. Say, win us card-check union organizing within two sessions of Congress, or a minimum wage that applied to all workers and paid above the poverty level, or, God forbid, universal national health insurance. Maybe they wouldn't.

But without something like that, why do you think that anyone should even _talk_ to you about "prioritizing," meaning telling parts of the population that their interests aren't important and they can wait till whenever? Do you think they are complete idiots? Do you think we are?