[lbo-talk] Pynchon Don't Sell Likwe He Used To

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jun 15 21:56:03 PDT 2007

We're drastically clearing shelf space, & Jan has been selling the books either on e-bay or alibris. Some go for really wild prices. An Everyman Library copy of Holinshed's Chronicles (HB), for which I probably paid $2-3, went for $90. And Foreign Language Press (Beijing) books sell for ridiculous prices. A 4 page 2.5x1.5' copy of Combat Liberalism went for $4. We still have several boxes of the stuff & it's selling regularly (Marx, Engels, Lenin, Mao).

I can't yet bring myself to put Pope's Correspondence (5vols) on the market. A set advertised on Alibris for $500. I paid L15 for it in 1961 (from Blackwells in England; don't remember what the exchange rate was then.

Carrol

P.S. There aren't many books such pure fun to read as Gravity's Rainbow